Herbie stories end with a final panel or two, often with one or more recurring themes, and almost always with Herbie. This page shows the ending panels from all 52 Herbie stories.
There were 5 Herbie stories in Forbidden Worlds, 44 in 23 issues of Herbie (two were reprints of stories in Forbidden Worlds), and 3 by authors other than Richard E. Hughes and Ogden Whitney.
The original 49 Herbie stories by Hughes and Whitney included:
- Dad, complaining what a little fat nothing of a son he has (17 stories),
- Dad, with a pile of money, thinking that he and not Herbie had something to do with getting it (6 stories), while Herbie shrugs
- Herbie, or sometimes someone else, shrugging (8 stories),
- Mom and/or Dad confused by Herbie's remark (8 stories),
- Herbie, talking to (even threatening) the reader with lollibopping (5 stories),
- Herbie pretending to lead a dull life (3 stories), although that could include all the stories ending with Dad calling Herbie a little fat nothing.
- Herbie, accepting the world as it is "Some days you just can't win!" (4 stories)
Index terms: shrug, little fat nothing, money, confusion, acceptance, Richard E. Hughes, Ogden Whitney